The NEC NP216 projector is a portable XGA (...
Panasonic PT-AE4000 Projector Overview
If you are looking for a reasonably affordable home theater projector - one that looks great, with excellent color, black levels, shadow detail, one with superb placement flexibility, and respectable brightness, then you've found the right review.
The PT-AE4000 projector receives one of our Hot Product Awards, not for any one capability or strength, but for being a truly excellent value, while at the same time, be one of the most feature laden home theater projectors on the market.
Panasonic PT-AE4000 Projector Highlights
- Surprisingly inexpensive: $1999 MAP
- Excellent black level performance for its price (and 2nd best in class)
- Typical sharpness, just average for 1080p projectors, but you can enhance sharpness with dynamic controls (will introduce some image noise as expected)
- Excellent shadow detail
- Out of the box picture is very good in Color 1mode but can be improved with a full calibration of this projector
- Really good post calibration color accuracy, excellent skin tones...
- Excellent placement flexibility
- Slightly below average brightness in both "best" and "brightest modes", but brighter (in "best") than last year's PT-AE3000U
- Full support for HDMI 1.3b with 24 fps, Deep Color, CEC...
- Lens Memory feature offers interesting potential, including the option of going with a 2.35:1 screen (discussed in detail elsewhere)
- Excellent Price Performance
Projector Specs for the Panasonic PT-AE4000
Native Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080)
Brightness: 1600 lumens
Zoom Lens ratio: 2:1 (motorized)
Lens shift: Vertical and Horizontal (motorized)
Lamp life: 2000 hours (full power), 3000 in low power
Weight: 16.1 lbs. (7.2 Kg)
Warranty: 1 Year Parts and Labor